Leave Without Pay (LWOP)
– Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (Pub.L. 103-353, see 5 CFR part 630, subpart L.) – employees with period of service interrupted by uniformed service.
– Executive Order 5396, July 17, 1930 – disabled veterans receiving necessary medical treatment.
– Employees under workers’ compensation.
Other LWOP is discretionary!
Effects of taking LWOP:
– For every 80 hours of LWOP used, no leave is accrued in that pay period.
– Health benefits can only continue for 365 days in a nonpay status, whether continuous or intermittent. Employee is responsible for their share.
– Any nonpay status is creditable service for time-in-grade requirements for promotions.