Full-time employee: accrues 4 hours of sick leave for each pay period
Part-time employee: accrues 1 hour of sick leave for each 20 hours in a pay status. Unapportioned hours carry over from one pay period to the next.
Sick leave can be used for personal medical needs including incapacitation due to physical or mental illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth; medical, dental or optical appointments and exposure to communicable disease.
Absences of more than 3 days may require medical certification.
Up to 104 hours of sick leave can be used for family care or bereavement purposes each leave year:
– Provide care for family member who is incapacitated due to physical or mental illness, injury, pregnancy or childbirth; provide care for family member for medical, dental or optical appointment or make arrangements for a deceased family member or attend a family member’s funeral. Family member is defined as spouse and parents thereof; children and spouses thereof; parents; siblings and spouses thereof; and any individual related by blood or affinity whose close association with the employee is the equivalent of a family relationship.
– Can use up to 104 hours each leave year. Up to 104 may be advanced, but is not an entitlement. Pro-rated for part-time employees.
Sick leave can be used to care for a family member with a serious health condition:
– up to 12 weeks per leave year (must subtract any sick leave used for family care or bereavement purposes).
– “serious health condition” – use FMLA definition.
– “family member” – use definition for family care or bereavement purposes.
– can use 12 weeks of sick leave and then invoke FMLA.
Sick leave can be used for the following reasons related to adoptions (not limiting):
– Appointments with adoption agencies, social workers and attorneys.
– Court proceedings.
– Required travel.
– Any time during which the parents are ordered or required by an adoption agency or court to take off from work to care for the adopted child.
– Any other activities necessary to allow the adoption to proceed.
– NOT for bonding or childcare.
– Agency can require evidence for these uses.
Advance Sick Leave
– Up to 240 hours total may be advanced. NOT an entitlement. Agency will take into consideration if they believe that the time can be paid back.